Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Filling, warm and simple, this vegan shepherd’s pie comes together pretty quickly. The plus side is that you can get all the dishes done while it bakes, so that all that’s left to do is to eat it.
Note the substitutions in this recipe. If you end up making this with lentils, be sure to cook them first, or the prep time will be a little off. There are a lot of steps here, but you’re essentially making two different things and piling them into a baking dish.
Ingredients for mashed potatoes
5 Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut in quarters
Salt (to taste)
½ tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp vegan butter
¾ cup water/non-dairy milk
Ingredients for filling
2 tbsp oil
1 medium yellow onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups ground beef substitute or lentils
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 ½ cups peas, carrots and corn mix (we use a frozen mix)
2 tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
1 tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce (traditional Worcestershire sauce has anchovies!)
Salt and pepper to taste
⅓ cup vegetable broth
1 ½ tsp rosemary
1 tsp thyme
Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Place cut potatoes in a pot and cover with enough cold water to cover
- Boil potatoes until you can pierce with a fork and the chunk slides off easily
- Drain potatoes and then return to the pot
- Add garlic powder, butter, water/milk
- Using a hand masher (or stand mixer) mash potatoes until smooth and spreadable
- Add salt, mix and set aside
- Preheat oven to 400º F (205ºC)
- Heat oil for filling in a large saute pan (or any skillet with straighter sides) on medium heat
- Once oil is shimmering, add onions
- Just as onions begin to get translucent, add peas, carrots and corn mixture
- Once peas are tender, add tomato paste/ketchup, ground beef substitute/lentils and Worcestershire sauce and herbs. Stir to distribute evenly.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir. It should get somewhat pasty. The amount of flour you end up using could be different than the recipe calls based on any substitutions you make. Just look for the pasty consistency.
- Add the broth and stir. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Allow the mixture to reduce until you have little to no remaining liquid.
- Transfer the filling to a 9×13” baking dish and flatten it.
- Using a rubber spatula, begin dolloping the mashed potatoes onto the filling and spreading it to the sides of the baking dish. Do your best to create a “seal” around the edges so no excess juices from the filling bubble over. If you’re concerned that’s possible, just put the baking dish on a tray in the oven when you bake it.
- Bake on middle rack for about 20 minutes. Turn oven up to broil to brown the top.
- Allow the shepherd’s pie to rest for about 15 minutes to solidify slightly before serving.