Vegan Gnocchi with Balsamic Mushroom Sauce
Vegan food is more than nutritional yeast. Create a wonderful depth of flavor in a single, satisfying entree: Earthiness from the mushroom, piquant sweet from a balsamic reduction and a clean, sharp finish from roasted tomato.
If you can, take the time to make the gnocchi at home. It does extend the prep time to this recipe, obviously, but having gnocchi that aren’t the texture of pencil erasers elevates this dish beyond.
A quick thing before we get into the details: This recipe also calls for a balsamic vinegar reduction. If you do not have any on hand, all it takes is gently simmering balsamic vinegar until it’s reduced to about half its original volume. The reduction is anything but single use, too. Drizzle it on salad, bread, granita or sandwiches as a fantastic way to give your other dishes a little extra flavor.
2 tbsp vegan butter (or olive oil)
2 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, diced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
½ lb vegan sausage, sliced (optional)
1 tsp soy sauce/tamari (optional)
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar reduction
½ tsp unrefined/organic granulated sugar
1 ½ cup vegetable broth
Black pepper to taste
For Roasted Tomatoes
4 Roma tomatoes, sliced in half
1 tbsp olive oil
Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F (218º C)
- Coat halved Romas in olive oil and place cut-side up on foil-lined baking tray
- Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and place in oven for about 25 minutes or until desired.
- While tomatoes are roasting, melt vegan butter in large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Add mushrooms once onions sweat and garlic becomes fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour soy sauce/tamari over mixture.
- Add vegan sausage, if using.
- Once sausage is browned, add flour and stir to coat.
- Pour balsamic reduction over all ingredients in the pan.
- Pour stock in slowly while stirring mixture.
- Once all stock is incorporated and you have a thick sauce, add sugar and black pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and cover.
- Cook gnocchi according to recipe/package directions and plate.
- Spoon or ladle sauce on top of gnocchi and top with two Roma tomato halves.
- Drizzle more balsamic reduction if desired. Serve immediately.