Vegan Southwestern Stuffed Peppers
They often say we eat with our eyes first — and if that’s true, there’s zero shame in going back for seconds or thirds of these stuffed peppers.
While you can make seasoned rice from scratch, to cut down on prep and cook time, we used parboiled rice with a ready blend of spices. There’s still dicing, mincing and seasoning to do, so don’t get too relaxed.
We also used some new-to-us products in this recipe — there’s no chance we’d skip cashew queso, are you kidding me? — that rounded out all the flavors beautifully. If you embrace the trinity of chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika, don’t sleep on this one.
Make sure you read the recipe all the way through before getting started. There’s some multitasking involved here!
4 red bell peppers, halved with membrane and seeds removed
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
5 oz. finely diced bell pepper
1 medium onion, minced
1 package Spanish rice
1 lime (optional)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp smoked paprika
½ tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 cloves garlic
Salt to taste
1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
Non-dairy sour cream
Non-dairy nacho cheese
Cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º F (190º C)
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- While rice is simmering, lightly oil a 9” x 13” baking tray and halved red bell peppers with olive oil.
- Place bell peppers cut-side down into the baking tray and put entire tray into oven for about 20 minutes or until the peppers’ skin begins to bubble up.
- While peppers are baking, heat about 1 tbsp olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat.
- Once oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic.
- Stir until garlic is fragrant but not browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add chopped finely diced bell pepper and black beans and stir.
- Cook off excess moisture from bell pepper and beans, about 2-3 minutes. Watch for steam to dramatically reduce.
- Add a splash more olive oil and all spices. Stir until onions have darkened and chili powder has cooked (Raw chili powder has a distinct taste, so take a taste test.).
- Remove from heat and mix in rice.
- If you have not removed the peppers at this point, take out the tray and flip the peppers so the cut-side is facing up.
- Spoon rice mixture into bell pepper halves.
- Cover entire tray with aluminum foil and place back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove foil, add non-dairy sour cream and cheese, cilantro, and jalapeno slices.
- Serve immediately.
Ella’s Harvest is a project simply to live simply and to cause no unnecessary harm. We strive to make delicious plant-based recipes accessible while growing our own food and help fellow vegans and those transitioning to the lifestyle. Follow us on Instagram @ellas_harvest or visit us on the site ellasharvest.com.