Homemade vegan pasta sauce
Rich, easy and simple, this tomato sauce can go on pasta as-is, blended up to make a smoother marinara/pizza sauce or dressed up with extras for a veg lover’s dream dish.
There are a few optional substitutions you can make for this sauce (fresh basil in for dried, no grape tomatoes, etc.), but this base recipe will give you a great place to start to create your own spin. If you go for the fresh basil route, place it on top of the sauce, let it release flavors and discard at the end, much like a bay leaf.
1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
6-10 grape tomatoes, quartered (optional)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp dried basil*
2 tsp oregano
½ tsp salt
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat
- Saute garlic and onion until fragrant. It happens quickly, so make sure you keep an eye on it.
- Add everything else
- Stir to mix and let simmer for 45 minutes or so
- Add more salt if necessary
Not a lot can be as satisfyingly filling as a pasta with white sauce. This recipe is a great way to introduce plant-based cooking or try your hand at making a staple sauce that’s delicious with or without red peppers and great on pizza, too.
1 package penne or pasta of your choice
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
1 zucchini, roughly chopped
1 large red pepper, julienned
1 clove garlic, minced
5 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced (by weight)
2 large handfuls of baby spinach (de-stemmed regular spinach works, too)
For the sauce
1 cup whole cashews
1 cup unsweet, unflavored non-dairy milk
2 oz. water
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
½ tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp salt
½ tsp garlic powder
Black pepper to taste
- Soak cashews in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes
- Sautee rough-chopped garlic clove (for sauce) in a little olive oil until browned
- Add cashews, garlic and the rest of the sauce ingredients into a blender. Blend until smooth. Keep sauce in blender.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat
- Once oil is shimmering, add zucchini, red pepper, mushrooms
- After moisture is cooked off (little steam coming from pan), add garlic
- Cook pasta according to instructions
- Continue to stir veggies until red peppers become tender.
- Transfer half of cooked red pepper slices into blender with sauce
- Pulse sauce until red peppers are fully incorporated with sauce.
- Pour sauce over sauteed vegetables and mix well. Add black pepper to taste. If sauce is too thick, a few ounces of water will make it more manageable.
- Plate pasta, add sauce on top. Garnish with red pepper flakes if desired. Serve immediately.