5-Ingredient Vegan Portobello Philly Sandwiches
Just calling a sandwich a Philly automatically declares what you’re in for: something filling, something we wouldn’t necessarily call health food and maybe a little more grease than normal. Is it an everyday dinner? Most definitely not. But when you want something that hits the spot in the way the unique mixture of flavors of a Philly do, look no further.
Obviously we aren’t using meat in this recipe, but we’re also not going to be doing anything fancy. It’s actually one of the most simple recipes we’ve done in a while. This dish is all about building layers of flavor: some sweetness from the onion, a little saltiness from the grilled bread and a massive rush of umami from the mushrooms.
The two secret things that ensure success for this recipe? A sharp knife and some restraint — it’s tough to not just keep eating the mushrooms while you’re cooking them!
4 large portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
2 bell peppers, sliced thinly
1 medium sweet onion, sliced thinly
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ cup vegan cheese (optional)
3 tbsp vegan butter, split in half
Neutral cooking oil like canola
- In a large skillet, heat 1 ½ tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms in even layer and stir every couple of minutes until moisture is cooked off, around 5 minutes.
- Pour soy sauce over mushrooms and allow mushrooms to absorb.
- Continue stirring until mushrooms start to sear. Set aside.
- In a separate, larger skillet, heat other 1 ½ tbsp butter over medium high heat.
- Once butter is melted, add sliced onion and bell peppers and stir.
- Allow onions and peppers to caramelize in the pan, around 10-15 minutes.
- If using, add vegan cheese to mushrooms and turn heat on low until cheese is melted and mixed throughout.
- Toast some bread and stack pepper and onions atop mushroom mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Ella’s Harvest is a project simply to live simply and to cause no unnecessary harm. We strive to make delicious plant-based recipes accessible while growing our own food and help fellow vegans and those transitioning to the lifestyle. Follow us on Instagram @ellas_harvest or visit us on the site ellasharvest.com.